- 1 ½ cup kosher salt (or 1/2 cup table salt)
- 3 whole bone-in skin-on chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 lb each breast
- Ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- Garlic-Sherry Sauce
- 7 clove garlic
- 1 ⅛ cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup dry sherry
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon lemon (juice)
1. Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold tap water in large container or bowl; submerge chicken in brine and refrigerate until fully seasoned, about 30 minutes. Rinse chicken pieces under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Season chicken with pepper.
2. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Peel 7 medium garlic cloves and cut crosswise into very thin slices.
4. Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke; swirl skillet to coat with oil. Brown chicken skin-side down until deep golden, about 5 minutes; turn chicken pieces and brown until golden on second side, about 3 minutes longer. Turn chicken skin-side down and place skillet in oven. Roast until juices run clear when chicken is cut with paring knife, or thickest part of breast registers 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter, and let rest while making sauce. (If not making sauce, let chicken rest 5 minutes before serving.)
5. Using potholder to protect hands from hot skillet handle, pour off most of fat from skillet; add garlic and cook until light brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add chicken broth, sherry, and thyme; increase heat to high and simmer rapidly, scraping skillet bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until slightly thickened and reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Pour accumulated chicken juices into skillet, reduce heat to medium, and whisk in butter 1 piece at a time; season to taste with salt and pepper and lemon juice and discard thyme. Spoon sauce around chicken breasts and serve immediately.
Pan-roasted chicken breasts with garlic-sherry sauce. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.