- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces andouille sausages,* cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ½ lbs ground beef (15% fat)
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 6 large sesame-seed hamburger buns
- 6 ⅓-inch-thick slices red onion
- Olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely grated Asiago cheese**
- 1 7- to 7 1/2-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
1. Finely chop sun-dried tomatoes in processor. Blend in mayonnaise and mustard. Transfer to small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
2. Finely chop andouille sausages in processor. Transfer to large bowl. Add beef, shallots, salt, pepper, and crushed fennel seeds. Stir with fork just until blended. Form mixture into six 1-inch-thick patties.
3. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill hamburger buns until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to platter. Brush onion slices with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until golden, about 7 minutes per side. Grill hamburgers to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Sprinkle cheese over top of burgers.
4. Spread cut sides of hamburger buns with sun-dried-tomato mayonnaise. Top bottom halves of buns with hamburgers, then red peppers. Top with onion slices. Cover with top halves of buns and serve.
5. *Smoked pork-and-beef sausages, sold at specialty foods stores and supermarkets. Kielbasa can be substituted.
Beef and Andouille Burgers with Asiago Cheese. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.