- 1 lbs. Italian hot sausages, casings removed
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 16.0 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 3 oz/cup
- 0.50 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 0.50 teaspoons garlic powder
- 16.0 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- Olive oil
- 24.0 large mushrooms, about 2-in diameter
- 5.3 tablespoons dry white wine
1. Sauté sausage and oregano in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through and brown, breaking into small pieces with back of fork, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage mixture to large bowl and cool. If the sausage pieces are too large, use a food processor to chop the meat into a more even consistency. This will also allow for easier filling later on if you are using a pastry tube.
2. Mix in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder, then cream cheese. Season filling with salt and pepper; mix in egg yolk.
3. Brush 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish with olive oil to coat. Brush cavity of each mushroom cap with white wine; fill with scant 1 tablespoon filling and sprinkle with some of remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Note: For larger quantities, you will find that using a pastry tube with a large funnel will make short work of filling the mushrooms. Arrange mushrooms, filling side up, in prepared dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered until mushrooms are tender and filling is brown on top, about 25 minutes.
Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.