- 1 ½ lbs. Kasseri or Kefalotyri cheese
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups butter
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons brandy
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Slice cheese into 3- x 1/2-inch pieces. Dip cheese in egg; dredge in flour, coating thoroughly. Place on waxed paper, and chill 1 hour.
2. Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry cheese in butter 10 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. Transfer cheese to a serving platter.
3. Place brandy in a small, long handled pan; heat just until warm (do not boil). Ignite brandy with a long match, and pour over cheese. When flames die down, sprinkle lemon juice over cheese. Serve immediately.
Book Club, Web
Fried Cheese Flambé (Saganaki). To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.