- Coconut-Graham Cracker Crust
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 10 graham crackers, broken into rough pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Coconut Cream Filling
- 14 ounces coconut milk, well stirred
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ¼ ounces unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dark rum, optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For the crust: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread the 5 tablespoons coconut in a 9-inch Pyrex glass pie plate and toast in the oven until golden brown, about 9 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. When cool enough to handle, reserve 1 tablespoon for garnishing the finished pie.
2. Pulse the graham crackers and the remaining 4 tablespoons toasted coconut in a food processor until the crackers are broken down into coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses. Process the mixture until evenly fine crumbs form, about 12 seconds. Transfer the crumbs to a medium bowl and stir in the sugar to combine; add the melted butter and toss with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Wipe out the now-empty pie plate and empty the crumb mixture into it. Using the bottom of a ramekin or measuring cup, press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides. Bake the crust until deep golden brown and fragrant, about 22 minutes. Cool the crust on a wire rack while making the filling.
3. For the filling: Bring the coconut milk, milk, shredded coconut, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. When the mixture reaches a simmer, whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl to break them up, then whisk in the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch until well-combined and no lumps remain. Gradually whisk the simmering liquid into the yolk mixture to temper it, then return the mixture to the saucepan, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until 3 or 4 bubbles burst on the surface and the mixture is thickened, about 30 seconds. Off heat, whisk in the vanilla and butter. Pour the filling into the cooled crust, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling, and refrigerate until the filling is cold and firm, at least 3 hours.
4. For the topping: Just before serving, whip the cream, sugar, rum, and vanilla in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters on low speed until small bubbles form, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and continue beating until beaters leave a trail, about 30 seconds longer. Increase the speed to high and beat until the cream is nearly doubled in volume and forms soft peaks, 30 to 60 seconds longer.
5. To serve: Spread or pipe the whipped cream over the chilled pie filling. Sprinkle the reserved 1 tablespoon toasted coconut over the cream. Cut the pie into wedges and serve.
Coconut Cream Pie . To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.