- 1 (4-ounce) Italian sausage link
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice sourdough bread, toasted and crusts removed
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
Serve with sauteed zucchini and tomatoes for a complete meal ready in just 35 minutes
1. Remove casing from sausage; crumble sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage is browned and onion is golden. Add wine to pan; cook 1 minute or until most of liquid is absorbed.
2. Rub each side of bread with cut sides of garlic; discard garlic. Coarsely crumble bread; add to sausage mixture. Stir in parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; toss to combine.
3. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Place half of stuffing on one side of each chicken breast half, leaving a 1-inch border around sides. Fold remaining half of each chicken breast over stuffing, and secure with wooden picks. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add stuffed chicken breast halves to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side. Add chicken broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove the wooden picks; slice breasts in half. Serve immediately.
Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Breadcrumbs. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.