- 8 anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 lb rolled boneless leg of lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 slices bacon
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place anchovy fillets, garlic and herbs in food processor, and process until finely chopped. With machine running, add olive oil in a thin stream, and process until mixture forms an oily paste. Transfer paste to a small bowl, and set aside.
2. Dry lamb well with paper towels, and open flat on work surface. Sprinkle inside of lamb with salt and pepper, and spread paste evenly over it. Roll lamb up tightly. Arrange bacon in overlapping slices on top of lamb, and tie roast as snugly as possible with butcher's twine.
3. Heat an ovenproof skillet 10 or 12 inches wide over high heat 5 minutes. Sear lamb bacon side down, until brown, about 4 minutes. Turn lamb with tongs, and continue searing until all sides are well browned, about 12 minutes total. Transfer skillet to oven, and roast until lamb registers 130 on instant-read thermometer, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove lamb from oven, and let it rest 10 minutes (for medium rare) before slicing.
4. Yield: 10 servings.
Leg of Lamb With Anchovy and Garlic. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.